Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Let's go back to the Olden times

The window is open for the first time in a while, and the crisp air is feeling pretty good right about now while under my blanket.  It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.....I love the cooler weather, and I loved today (slightly sarcastic) how people were coming into the office saying how chilly it was outside and complaining they had to wear a jacket all day.  What are we going to do? FALL IS COMING!!!!

I think I would like to chat about elders driving. Your thoughts and/or concerns?.....

For a while now I have been a big proponent of aging, elderly people NOT getting behind the wheel and driving themselves to where ever their little hearts want to go.  My grandma was notorious for that, and she was the WORST driver you could possibly imagine, and now these 85+ year old people are driving themselves when they can barely walk or have to use some sort of other assistance to get themselves around.  A 92 year old woman came today with a walker who just passed her drivers license because once you pass the age of 87 you HAVE to take a test every year to renew your license, and they felt she was up to Illinois standards.  She then proceeded to scramble for her keys and when she couldn't find them realized they must be in the car! Come to find out they were still in the ignition with the car on because she is 92 and just a little forgetful.  I, in all seriousness, want to be able to drive these people to their destinations so it is not another place that they have to worry about getting too.  Of course, some would probably say my driving is not any better, and there are no references for this statement, but I have to think that I am a little better then most 87 year olds out there.

I watched my grandma's independence be taken away from her when she was told she couldn't drive anymore, and it was very hard.  It is not easy to be told that you are getting old and you can't do the things you want or used to be able to do, regardless of how simple the task may be.  Everything slows down, their reflexes, sight, and I just wish it was easier for them to accept the outside help that could be given to them.  This costs money, which nobody is a fan of.  I actually bought my current car from an 82 year old lady who barely drove it at all.  A 1996 Saturn, with 17,000 miles on it, how's that for steal or what?  But, I was the one that took her car and self reliance and she was about ready to cry when handing me the car key.  I still go visit her to let her know the car is doing well, and to assure her that it misses her old owner, dearly.  The new owner had a new stereo put in and plays that terrible music way too loud!

Tomorrow is my first assignment (outside of my family) where I get to go pick someone up, who is in his 80s, drive them to a DRS. appt., maybe stop for a few other errands along the way, and take him home right after.  I am keeping him off the road, helping his family feel better about the way he is getting to and from the doctor, and I love talking to people who have had so many more experiencing that I have. The list of topics is already formulating in my head.  Hopefully this is the start for many, and helping get some of the old folks off the road and into my sweet saturn where the music is blaring.



Until next time.

1 comment: